| This history is an attempt to give a brief but accurate account of the county's early inhabitants and their activities.|
The division of Cheyenne county whence Banner county was created and some of the happenings of the past half century. It is told in a continuous narrative to appeal to both old and young.
In recalling the events that lead to this county's birth it seems necessary to deal briefly with conditions here before the division was made.
This land that later became our new county comprises 743 square miles and through its center lies Pumpkin Creek Valley bounded on the north by the Wildcat range of bluffs, so named for the many wildcats that roamed there in the early times. These bluffs were covered with an abundance of timber, pine and cedar, which gave the settlers not only fuel but logs for building purposes, poles for corrals, post for fences and for sale. It also meant food, for hundreds of loads of stove wood were sold by the settlers for $3.00 to $3.50 per load to Kimball, Sidney, Cheyenne and Potter. I was told of an instance when two men from Kirk cut and split 100 cedar posts and hauled them by team and wagons seventy-five miles to Julesburg, Colorado, and received only seven cents apiece.
There were three or four saw mills in the territory in 1888 and 1889, but now the remaining timber is protected and in the central part of the Wildcat range is a Game Preserve that extends over into Scottsbluff County.
Pumpkin Creek fed along by springs, flows at the foot of Wildcat range: it is fed by Willow Creek and Four-J Springs. This is the only running water in this county.
This valley is bordered on the south by another rim of bluffs in which are several smaller springs, the largest are Gabe Springs where Olaf Swartz and family settled in 1885 and Long Springs where Vance Cross and family homesteaded the same year.
Ashfords came in 1885 also and settled on Pumpkin Creek near the future stage road, and north of them in the hills was the Dooley Canyon where now we have a fine highway north over the bluffs to the North Platte Valley and its markets.
South of the rim of bluffs we have a table land known as the Divide. The pastures were good on this highland but there was no water.
Wells had to be dug by hand, over 200 feet deep. This territory was later developed into some of the richest wheat fields in the state.
The highest point in the state is in southwest Banner County, with an elevation of 5350 feet. The valley has a sandy soil, while the divide has a dark heavy loam.
Pumpkin Creek with its abundance of water and good grass lands adjoining was a mecca for stockmen in the early seventies.
The Wright ranch was established in 1877. In 1885 the Bay State Cattle Company located a ranch at the north end of Wildcat Mountain, where they wintered 1100 head of cattle and in 1887 when the writer came, this ranch was managed by H. H. Robinson, who lived in Kimball, and J. S. Robb was his foreman.
The winter of 1872-73 was very severe, also the winter of 1883-84, and again there was deep snow and severe cold in1890-91 when the snow was wet and eighteen inches or more fell and froze hard, this made it impossible for the stock to graze and a heavy loss resulted.
In 1898-99 deep snow fell over the county but since then the winters have been milder.
On Willow Creek was the homestead of W. W. Everett and family, who in 1889 had a brick
Later the Airdale and Egleston ranches were established east of the Bay State Ranch, while farther west John Peters had a ranch also on the Creek.
Before 1880 the only industry of this section was the raising of cattle by men schooled in the profession.
This business required an unpopulated region. These ranchmen paid no rent but used their "rights of discovery" and established a ranch. There was free range and an unwritten law among cattlemen that gave each ranch, land according to their needs.
These conditions were sadly upset when the homesteaders began to arrive in the early eighties and each year more came, by 1889 nearly every quarter section had a filing on, either homestead, pre-emption or tree claim rights. Dugouts, log cabins and sod houses sprang up and this section of old Cheyenne county became a thickly populated pioneer territory.
The digging of wells was the first step in planning their new homes, for the water had to be hauled from Pumpkin Creek, Willow Creek, or Four-J Springs in the north section or from the south hills or range of bluffs with its Long Springs and Gabe Springs.
The wells had to be dug by hand and many settlers dug five or six holes before they found water, then they had to draw the water up hand over hand with two buckets.
("The old oaken bucket that hung in the well.")
The first settlers began farming with a walking plow drawn by a team of oxen or horses. Each family had a few cows and some chickens brought from their former homes.
The grass was heavy on their new land and their hopes ran high as they started out breaking sod for a few acres of corn for winter feed. Many mowed hay on their homesteads that first year.
The first post office in this new territory was at Livingston's ranch, and Mrs. Livingston was the postmistress in the early eighties. In 1887, E. M. Cowen was postmaster at Freeport.
The first rural stage route was from Reddington. In October 1887 Ashford post office was established with Mrs. Ashford as postmistress. At Hull another post office, A. B. Hull, as postmaster, and another at Banner with Mrs. Harvey Rancier postmistress.
There being no towns in this section many stores were established for the convenience for the early settlers. This gave some employment for freighters, for all supplies had to be freighted from Kimball, Potter, Sidney or Cheyenne. This was by oxen or horse teams and these trips seemed endless on top a load of freight, so the men would walk part of the time. This trip would take two or more days and the men slept in the livery stables at either place. Some freighters used two yoke of cattle on their load.
Many of the early homestead would work at home until their meager crops were harvested, then leave for Cheyenne to get work to earn enough to tide them over the winter months. The winters were severe in those days and food was scarce, some families even ground corn in coffee mills for meal for corn bread. This same mill ground their parched grains and peas for coffee also. Others had planted sugar cane for molasses. Fred Grubbs also had a sorghum mill.
A few could not make a living nor stand the pioneer hardships and privations of pioneer life and after the second winter pulled out and returned to their former homes.
Soon after Ashford was established, Centropolis came into existance on Pete Clausen's former pre-emption, which he had sold to C. A. Schooley, who had came from Harrisburg, Penn., with his nephew C. H. Randall. Mr. Schooley built a frame building, known as the Red Front, on his land and secured the post office at Centropolis with C. H. Randall as the first postmaster. The first store was run by Fred Jirden in the front of the building. In the back part was housed the first newspaper office with press. The Centropolis World was owned and edited by C. H. Randall, who also had living quarters in the rear of this same building. (This was the very first building on the present County Seat Site.)
The records gave me this information. That on August 12th, 1889, there was a mortgage recorded by C. H. Randall for a printing press and type for the first newspaper office here.
The County division agitation began in 1887 and four towns were bidding for the location of the County Seat. Centropolis, Ashford, Banner and Freeport, each had a store and post office and each had its ardent supporters. Freeport aquired a newspaper, "The Freeport Gazette," again the records show that on February 9th, 1888, Allison J. Shumway gave a mortgage to J. M. Wilson for $100.00 for half interest in Freeport Gazette. This was transferred the following spring from Cheyenne county to Banner county records.
About this time C. H. Randall purchased a quarter of land north of his uncle's land and one evening he moved the Red Front building and all its contents to a spot one half mile north. This created some excitment and much uneasiness but our first Constable, Henry Gary, soon had everything back to it original location. Some soon found out that a U. S. Post Office could not be carted around from place to place.
Nearly every community now had its own post office served by mail routes. There was Hull, Epworth, Mingo, Dorrington, Heath and Loraine, besides the four above mentioned.
There were three attempts at division, the last in the fall of 1888 was successful and Banner County was organized in January, 1889.
This new county needed a new name, a committee had been appointed and met in the Marshall Hotel in Kimball to select a name. There were two names submitted -- Meade in honor of Gen. Mead, submitted by W. W. Everett, who was an old soldier. The Hull neighborhood had instructed Theo Deutch to submit the name of Banner. All but two delegates voted for the latter name. M. E. Shafto and W. W. Everett voted for Mead. Mr. Shafto thought the name unsuited for this pioneer spot.
The committee appointed to draw the seal for the county was Grant Shumway and H. L. Wells.
When the third attempt came to get this county set off there were some contentions, Kimball wanted township 17 and Gering wanted part of township 20 (which they did get later), but our committee wanted townships 17, 18, 19 and 20. There were delegates appointed from each neighborhood, Smith, H. I. Wells and M. E. Shafto from Pumpkin Creek, from Gabe Rock -- William Loman, Henry Bunker, (I could not find out about others). Hull sent Theo Duetch, Wright sent E. M. Cowen as he represented that nieighborhood, Long Springs sent B. R. Lewis, William Ryan and W. W. Everett. A very bad blizzard was on the day the delegations were to meet in Sidney and many delegates did not get there at all. Gering was not represented. A petition correctly drawn up was needed by our delegates. Mrs. Ashford remembered that a man had discarded a petition in the store, saying it had served its usefulness. Instead of burning it she had laid it up for future reference. This old petition had been legally drawn up by Geo. H. Heist of Sidney.
When M. E. Shafto, our present judge, came to Ashford to help draw up the petition to have division of this new county put on the fall election ballot, in trying to find how to go about it, Mrs. Ashford brought out this old petition. William Ashford and M. E. Shafto copied the wording and legal phrases, changing it to fit our needs and soon had the legal document all ready, but no suitable paper was on hand so the five copies were written on cheap scratch tablet paper. Then five horse men were sent for and each given a copy of the petitions and instructed to ride hard and get back to Ashford by 5 p. m. the following day. All but one got back on time.
Then Mr Shafto left on horse back with the petitions for Sidney via Kimball. He got as far as Edwards, about two miles south of Billie Van Pelt's place where he spent the night. On arriving in Kimball the next day he found he could make time by catching the freight. Leaving his horse in the livery barn, he left and arrived in Sidney a couple of hours ahead of the passenger train. As soon as he arrived, he hurried to the County Clerk's office and filed his petition, his being first had preference over the others. When the other delegates arrived they were surprised for they did not even know that Banner county had a petition in circulation. In fact M. E. Shafto seemed to have pulled a "fast one." This is an accurate account of how our county was divided and named.
C. A. Schooley donated the land for the county seat and H. R. Stevens surveyed and drew the plat on 22nd day of May, 1889.
Mr. Schooley also had the court house built as a gift to Banner county and in honor to him the name Centropolis was changed to Harrisburg and on May 29th, 1889, C. A. Schooley dedicated the new town of Harrisburg, Neb. John A. Logan, the first County Clerk signed the dedication.
The first mortgage on record in the new county was on March 2nd, 1889, H. Dunlavy to L. D. Lee, one gray mare and one cow for $22.00.
On March 8th, 1889, one was made by F. M. and Grow Gambin for $305.00 on two horses with harness.
April 4th, 1889, A. S. Alexander to Bank of Gering, 1 wagon, 1 bull, 2 heifers, for $45.00.
May 28th, 1889, O. V. Bowker to Bank of Gering, 4 cows, 1 bull, 1 ox with yoke and chain.
August 10th, 1889, W. M. Everett to Bank of Kimball, 50,000 burnt brick on Willow Creek for $200.00.
April 18th, 1889, I. L. Yoey to C. J. Carlisle (banker), 2 oxen for $34.25. Again on July 3rd same year he borrowed $9.25, 1 bureau and one mare.
September 8th, 1889, T. D. Viner to Enderly Brothers, 30 acres of corn for $15.00.
Cyrus Van Pelt was the first County Treasurer, and the very first tax receipt he issued was -- Real Estate tax receipt No. 1 for the year 1888, paid June 20, 1889, by Anna McCronan.
Personal tax receipt No. 1 issued to Lee D. Livingston, paid December 9th, 1891, for personal taxes since 1889. Each of these receipts were signed by Cyrus Van Pelt, Treasurer of Banner County.
A. H. Dunlavy was our first county attorney and his first case was on July 2, 1889.
State of Nebraska versus J. W. Stranahan. Case dismissed on motion of County Attorney A. H. Dunlavy. And on the same date, State of Nebraska versus L. E. Enderly, selling liquor without a license, dismissed as above case.
Henry Walters was our first county judge. The first suit file in this county in district court was May 1, 1889. C. H. Randall versus B. R. Lewis. This trouble grew out of the attempted moving of the town. Case dismissed and cost charges equally against both.
W. W. Renfrow who was elected as our first sheriff, and his bond was filed on January 26, 1889.
The first county superintendent of schools was Clara Shumway. During the past two years the schools had been organized thick and fast, there were over a hundred schools now in the territory that was west Cheyenne county. Many of these were in Banner county now. The first school in this territory in its early history was organized at the Lee Livingston ranch and Lora Sirpless was the first teacher. These early schools had only three months session because there was little tax money, and a lack of teachers. These pioneer teachers received twenty-five to thirty dollars per month and either boarded around, each patron taking his turn boarding the teacher or they could board for two dollars per week if there was any place for the teacher to sleep. If she or he owned a pony it was usually kept free.
The first school director was John Wright and the first school house was made of logs, like many of these that followed, had a dirt floor and roof.
Gertrude Ashford held the first teacher's certificate issued in Banner county by the new Superintendent of Schools. The first teacher in Harrisburg was Jonas Clapp. He also helped instruct in the first teacher's institute, which was held in the summer of 1890. This was a two weeks training course for teachers and prospective teachers of the county.
Those attending as near as I can remember were Ella Freeman, Nettie Rosenfelt, Veronica Gishwiller, Albert Hampton, Gertrude Ashford, Anna Urban, Bryon Van Vleet, Lulu Callaham, Welthy Downer, Iva and Eva Nekerson, Mrs. William McKee, Minnie and Hull(?) Shumway, Lillie Marshall, and Mrs. T. U. Van Pelt.
In the fall of 1889 before the court house was plastered we had our first County Fair. An Agriculture display, handicraft, and expecially do I remember the handsome braided bridles. These were made of horse hair in colors and braided round as a rope with loose long reins with ornaments and tassels on the headpiece. I have never wanted any thing like I did one of those beautiful bridles. I had no use for it because we did not have a pony at the time. Mr. Snyder put on the mule race so well, that there were pony races also. There was a band , a parade and what interested all was a large barbecue. Jacob Koenig and William Everett were in charge of roasting the meat. A large square pit was dug on the west side of the court house yard and a fire was kept going in the pit for 3 days until a bed of live coals was deep and ready for the roast. Then the meat was put on a rack over the live coals. The pit was then covered with poles, then evergreen boughs, then sod until it was air tight. This was left for 24 hours or until noon the first day of the three day fair. The meat was delicious and the crowd was appreciative. This was the writer's first barbecue.
Many of the young men had hauled poles and evergreen boughs and erected a dance bowery shade. The floor was of lumber and this floor was used for dancing for several months.
There was also a horse drawn Merry-go round. This was a three day celebration and people came in covered wagons and with tents, from the remote neighborhoods in the county and camped here for this affair.
The first Banner County Bank was opened by C. J. Carlysle as soon as the location of the county seat was settled. It was started with $5000.00 capital. We had our first bank robbery in the early nineties. Mr. Carlysle was in the bank adjoining his residence (the same now occupied by the W. Schumaker family) when a man quickly entered the back door, calling to the banker "throw up your hands." The robber's gun got caught in his holster which gave Mr. Carlysle time to dash outside, mount the robber's horse, and race for help. As the robber ran out with the loot, he was shot in the leg by C. L. Burgess. The money was recovered. The robber, Wes Graham, was tried and convicted but later escaped and was never looked for. That he had help to escape was evident.
From the Shumway history, I found that the first white children born in early times before the homesteaders came were two children born to Mr. and Mrs. Dick Brown on Pumpkin Creek. The first pair of twins born in Banner County were Carol and Gladys, born to Mr. and Mrs. Sam Kelly, February 23, 1889. The mother passed on at the birth of her daughters. Carol only lived to be 18 months old. Gladys is now Mrs. Ralph Darnell.
The first hardware and implement store in Banner county was owned by C. M. Moffit, who with his family lived several years in Harrisburg. The first blacksmith shop was owned and operated by Meck Snyder Sr., and C. A. Schooley donated the lot for the shop. The first photographer was G. P. Pierce and many of those early photos are cherished possessions now.
In 1888 and 1889 Harrisburg became a thriving village. A new school house was built, also a church had been organized and a building provided. Young people's education was started. A resident minister obtained. There was a strong W. C. T. U. organization.
Fred Jirden's grocery was sold to Bill Cheany. L. E. Enderly's General Merchandise store was here with "Doc" Wilson in charge of the drug department. The three newspapers of the early pioneer days soon after sifted down to one, "The Early Day," which in a short time became the Banner County News as is today.
The first marriages on record in the new county ---
On April 5th, 1889 Arthur M. Strum to Otava Strum at Freeport, then on June 14, 1889 James Murry to Jane Huffman.
The first divorce on record was that of Sarah Johnson versus Samuel Johnson, May 23rd, 1889.
The first Commissioners of Banner county were E. M. Cowen, Ira Pavor, and G. W. Rockafield. On January 25, 1889 they approved the bonds of the new officers of the county. Ashford was approved as the temporary county seat.
The first fire, other than prairie fires, was when E. M. Cowen's residence burned down with all its contents near Freeport.
The first murder was Jim Walter killed by L. E. Enderly in 1895.
The first suicide was Jim McKee, age 24 over love for Miss Draper in 1889. The first body buried in Harrisburg cemetery was that of Art Elmwood. The funeral was held at the B. R. Lewis homestead house.
The first tombstone erected there was Capt. Van Vleet in 1897. Mervin Snyder and Gottlieb Koenig put up the stone.
The first funeral amongst the early pioneer families in old west Cheyenne county was that of Mary Rose, age 22, at the Lee Livingston ranch, June 25th, 1887.
Ed Wright was the first baby born in Banner County. Among the first babies born in the new county near Harrisburg were Jessie Wyatt, Mable Cross and Melissa Montz.
The first Sunday school was organized in the spring of 1887 in the Hackberry neighborhood at Cora Oliver's homestead house.
The second Sunday school picnic was held in June, 1888. About this time another Sunday school was started in the Big Horn neighborhood where Mr. and Mrs. Cashler and Mr. and Mrs. Randleman were active in the movement.
The oldest pioneer lady living in the county at this time is Mrs. G. A. Cashler. The other eldest lady was Mrs. Vance Cross, whose home is in the county but she is living in Kimball now.
John Muhr delivered the first Temperance Lecture at the above Sunday school picnic.
As early as 1889 at Harrisburg there was a strong Sunday school organization, a student minister, young peoples church activities, Epworth league, and W. C. T. U. organization with a large membership. There was also G. A. R., also the Women's Auxiliary of this chapter, and they were quite active in social affairs.
The first resident physician at Harrisburg was Dr. H. S. Fletcher, who also owned his own drug store in later years.
In the covered wagon era, late in 1890-91 the settlers had an Indian scare. It was reported from various sources that the Indians in the Territory of Wyoming were on a rampage, terrible painted faces of the savages, etc., were stories told of the braves who were on the warpath and that they were coming this way. But only a few skirmishes came to pass near their reservation and this uneasy tribe was divided, part of them were given a reservation in northern Montana. The balance remained with the Sioux at Pine Ridge reservation.
The coming of the homesteaders crowded the range cattle west into Wyoming, but during the hard winter of 1888-1889 the grass became poor and the cattle were turned down this way again. There were no fences, no herd law, and soon the farmers had no feed for their few head of cattle. This was a hard winter and many Bay State cattle were killed by the settlers for food. This shortage of winter feed caused a heavy loss among the homesteaders' small herds. The following year the herd law was passed which protected the small rancher and farmer.
On January 12, 1888, there occurred one of the heaviest blizzards ever known through this part of the pioneer section, there was great loss of stock and several lives were lost. Snow deep and frozen over made it impossible for cattle to graze.
In 1890 the drouth took all the crops in Banner county and the farmers had no seed for next spring, so aid was sent to help out. This was the year that we all ate corn bread weather we liked it or not, and our parents parched grains in the oven for coffee.
The points of interest in Banner County are:
First -- Lover's Leap, south of Harrisburg on the stage road, so named from a story handed down from Indian days, which told of an Indian maiden, a daughter of a Sioux Chief, who fell in love with a cowboy whom her father would not let her marry but gave her to an Ogallala brave, she climbed the bluff and leaped to her death. Since then the bluff has been named Lover's Leap.
Second -- we have Long Springs in the bluffs, also south of Harrisburg, from which many of the early pioneers hauled their water until wells were dug. These Springs are on the Vance Cross homestead.
Third point of interest -- Gabe Springs southwest of he county seat, and early watering place for man and beast, now part of the Chris Olsen ranch.
Fourth -- Hogback point in the center of Wild Cat range north of Harrisburg along Pumpkin Creek. This is the highest bluff in the range, so named because resembling the shape of a hog's back. Altitude about 5,080 feet and has a pine covered ridge.
Fifth -- The "Lost Park," a recently developed place of beauty and amusement.Developed by Mr. and Mrs. William Onstott on the sight of the old Four-Jay Springs on Pumpkin Creek north of Harrisburg.
Sixth -- The State Game Preserve on top of the Wildcat range, also a Wildcat Park. Then we have the Big Horn mountain in the east end of the county, where all youngsters near there have at one time or another carved their names on the top of it, as this writer did in the Spring of 1887.
Near the southwest corner of the county there is Bull Canyon, a deep gorge very interesting because of the early cowboy and Indian stories of that section. This is the home of John Wynnes and at the head of the Canyon is the Bill Young ranch.
In 1893 the financial panic in the east was felt in the extreme west also, even until the year 1900. Then in 1894 we experienced a severe drouth again, the hot winds from the southwest burned most of our corn crops.
The Kincaid act was passed in 1904. This allowed the homesteaders to file on more land, that is they could file on another 160 acres making 640 acres all together.
The census of Banner county was 1,114, again in 1910 it was 1,114 but from that time it has been less. This is due to drouth, low farm prices and most of all the big wheat farmers, who farmed several hundred acres each, thus crowding out the small farmers.
The first livery stable in Harrisburg was owned by A. H. Anderson. He also sold harness and buggies. The first shoe shop was in a harness shop and run by Jack Savage.
There is a star mail route from Kimball to Gering via Harrisburg, and mail routes to every neighborhood in the county.
Now in 1940, at Harrisburg, we have a county high school, gymnasium and dormitory.
Our roads are carefully maintained and we had no bonded indebtedness until last year, a $7000.00 bond was issued to repair the high school unit.
The credit for our large wheat yields goes to Kimball or Scottsbluff counties, because it is all trucked to these railroad markets, as is our livestock and farm products for we have no railroad in this county.
Banner county now has seven voting precincts and one small village, Harrisburg, the county seat.
It is impossible to close this narrative without giving credit where credit is due, to the sturdy brave man and women who faced the hardships and privations of the pioneer land with determination in the eighties and nineties that they might leave its hertiage to their children, many which live here in Banner county.
The list of pioneers which follows by precincts is not official but from memory only, our friends and neighbors, and many may be omitted unintentionally.
Long Springs -- Anderson, *Osbornes, Whites, Dyers, Combs, *Callahams, Bruces, Ryan, Montz, Burton, Crosby, Gullup, *Pierson, Petters, *Cross, VanVleet, Eckerson, Swan, *Grubbs, *Langmaid, *Faden, *Olsen, Swartz, *Hoke, Cheeney, Dooley, *McKee, *Sutton, *Snyder, *Pile, *Barfoot, Brady, Yoey, Schiel, Sauer, *Kelly, *Stauffer, *Grant, Alumbaugh, Schooley, Baysinger, *Jensen, Shumway, *Downer, *Shafto, *Wilson, *Lowman, *Lewis, Graves, Grow, Lowes.
Flowerfield -- *Mckinnon, Cronn, *Schlinder, *Pierce, *Van Pelt, *Rundle, *Patton, *Baker, Mann, *Zorn, Palm, Cox.
Kirk -- *Johnson, *Jensen, *Carlson, *Larsen, Palmberg, *Trowbridge, McLatchy, *Frostrom, *Huffman, *Henderickson, *Asplund, *Lumberg, *Schaffer.
Wright's Precinct -- Williams, Rayburn, Hubbard, *McNett, Schobars, Roberts, Milhollin, Kirkbaum, Hankerson, *Wyatt, *Streeks, *Snook, *Skinner, Daper, Cooks, *Whipple, Logan, *Darnell, Cowen, *Brown, Heard, Livingston, *Maynard, Filer, *Johnson, Smith, Ingles, Fitzgerald, *Cashler, Barkell.
Hull -- Deutch, Foremans, Beck, *Stoddard, *Warner, *Cross, *Mitchell, *Heintz, *Wynne, *Earley, *Ammerman, *Jones, *Crosby, Kessler, Kimberly, Rundall, *Dunn, *Craton, *Spahr, Hull, *McCompsy, *Preston, *Tremain, Malnard, *Hampton, Gingrich, *Belin, *Harvey
(We have starred (*) the families which have descendants living in Banner County.)
In assembling this material was are indebted to Shumway's History for our earliest dates in the prehistory of the county, and to K. A. Aspplund for the loan of early newspaper files, and to many of our friends for verification of our material.
Mrs. Snyder was born in Topeka, Kan., 2/8/1876. She was the daughter of Albert K. and Ida W. Powers Callaham. Lulu taught school in from 1894 to 1917. She was Principal for the primary department in Lingle, Wyo. from 1915-1917. From 1917-1922 she was Superintendent of Schools in Goshen Co., Wyo. 1922-1930 she was a representative of Grolier Society of Chicago. She taught in the Hull precinct from 1931-1933 and was art instructor in Scottsbluff 1933-1934.
In 1879 the Callaham family were living in Dodge Center, Minn., where a brother Albert Earl was born. In 1883 the family moved from Minnesota to Custer Co., Neb., where a sister, Viola was born in 1885. They left Custer Co. and arrived in old Cheyenne Co. June 1887. Another sister was born in Banner Co. April, 1892.
Lulu married John Koenig in 1896. They had 5 children: Afton, Winfred, twins Byron and Pauline (Fuerst), and Clifton. In 1917 they were divorced. She married Mervin Snyder, who had been married to John Koenig's sister Mary, in 1934. Mary died in 1932.John Koenig died in November, 1947, Mervin April of 1947, and Lulu died in 1955 in Lynwood, Cal.
Lulu wrote a number of articles that were published in the Banner County News over the last few years of her life.
|© Oldtime Nebraska -- Brief History of Banner County, submitted by Thelma Nation, December 1998|