remaining until January, 1869, when he came to Platte county, where he worked at his trade, engaging in blacksmithing in Columbus until 1873. In that year he again turned his attention to general agricultural pursuits, homesteading eighty acres on section 14, Grand Prairie township. His first home was a sod house and there were no improvements upon the place. He had little money and began his farm work with ox teams. He worked persistently and energetically to till the soil, converting the wild prairie into richly cultivated fields and as he gathered good crops, which brought him substantial financial return, he kept adding to his place until he is now the owner of six hundred and forty acres of valuable land. He has always followed stock-raising in addition to general farming and both branches of his business have proven profitable. He has many good improvements upon his p]ace, which now presents a most attractive appearance, constituting one of the pleasing features in the landscape.
In 1871 Mr. Hoefelmann was married to Miss Sophia Kunnemann, a daughter of Henry and Katie (Ehlers) Kunnemann, who were natives of Oldenburg, and who are mentioned at length in connection with the sketch of H. L. Kunnemann on another page of this work. To Mr. and Mrs. Hoefelmann have been born nine children: William, who is married and who is engaged in farming; Amelia, the wife of E. F. Hellbush; Emma, the wife of Otto Loseke; Edward and Adolph, both at home; Ida, the wife of Otto Osten; Ernst, at home; Arvena, the wife of Carsten Peterson, Jr.; and Clara, with her parents.
In religious faith Mr. Hoefelmann is connected with the German Lutheran church, assisting in organizing St. John's church on section 13, Grand Prairie township. In connection therewith is conducted a parochial school and the work of the church is in excellent condition. He has filled all of the church offices and has put forth earnest effort to advance the cause of religion in this locality. His has been an active and well spent life and at present he is largely leaving the work of the farm to his sons, who, following in his footsteps, are energetic, progressive agriculturists. This enables Mr. Hoefelmann to enjoy rest and indulge in those things which are most interesting to him. He belongs to that class of citizens who, leaving the fatherland, have improved the opportunities offered in the new world and in winning success have also contributed to the progress and improvement of the districts in which they live.
Wilhelm Loseke has passed the seventy-first milestone on life's journey and is now living retired in Platte Center. In boyhood he herded sheep and worked on farms in Germany, thus starting upon his business career and his gradual advancement has brought him to a place among the substantial citizens o£ his adopted county. The attainment of success with him has meant years of hard work, but his persistency, indefatigable industry and determination have carried him steadily forward. He was born in Germany, March 16, 1844, a son of George and Mary (Hiller) Loseke, who were also natives of that country. The father owned a farm there and never came to the new world.
Wilhelm Loseke was the fifth in order of birth in a family of six sons and ac-
WILHELM LOSEKE MRS. WILHELM LOSEKE
quired his education in the common schools of his native country. There he began herding sheep and also worked at farm labor until he came to the United States in 1866, when a young man of twenty-two years. He made his way to Dodge county, Wisconsin, where he remained for two years. He then settled on section 4, Lost Creek township, Platte county, Nebraska, and obtained a homestead claim on Shell Creek. There were few families in the district and conditions of pioneer life existed. There were no schoolhouses and no churches, no roads had been laid out and the streams were not bridged. School was held in a little sod house and the home of Mr. Loseke was a dugout, with logs above the ground and with a shingle roof. He began farming, using oxen with which to break the sod and till the fields. He made the journey to Nebraska from Wisconsin, driving across the country in a wagon with his brother. He saw hard times when the country was new and went through many privations and difficult experiences. There were heavy snow storms in the winter with no trees to break the wind, which swept over the prairies, carrying the snow in great drifts. Columbus was at that time only a village and the town of Platte Center had not been laid out. Year after year Mr. Loseke carefully developed his fields and put forth a most earnest effort to improve his farm. He always tried to keep good stock and as conditions improved and his financial resources became greater, he began raising Durham cattle, becoming one of the well known stock dealers of the county. To his original tract of eighty acres he also added from time to time until he is now the owner of twelve hundred and sixty acres in Platte county and three hundred and twenty acres in Wheeler county, Nebraska. He developed his herds until he became one of the extensive cattle raisers of this part of the state. He would take his cattle to Wheeler county where he found abundant pasturage. To the man of resolute spirit and honorable purpose difficulties give way as snow melts before the summer sun and thus it was that after a time Mr. Loseke found himself on the highroad to success, along which he has steadily advanced until he is now one of the prosperous citizens of his part of the state.
On the 11th of March, 1873, Mr. Loseke was united in marriage to Miss Mary Hagleman, who was born in Oldenburg, Germany, on the 27th of September, 1848, a daughter of Bernhard and Maria (Zeemer) Hagleman, who were farming people of Germany, in which country they spent their entire lives. Mr. and Mrs. Loseke have become the parents of six children. Louis C., the eldest, born in 1874, died in 1910. He was a representative farmer, who owned land and also cultivated land belonging to his father. He was very prominent and popular in the community in which he made his home, was an active, progressive citizen and served as township trustee. For ten years he filled the office of school director and he exercised an influence for good upon the public life of the community. He married Helena Hurley, of Platte Center, and they became the parents of four children, Elza, Ernest, Walter and Louis, the last named being born after his father's death. The second son of the Loseke family is Otto Henry, who lives on his father's farm in Lost Creek township. He is married and has three children, Esther, Elmer and Pearl. William H., a farmer residing in Burrows township, is married and has three children, Leona, Verna and Siegfried. Alma is the wife of Christ Martens, of Platte Center, and they have two children, Goldie and Louis. George F. is at home. Anna Louisa is the wife of Herbert Buttner, a farmer of Madison county.
Politically Mr. Loseke has always followed a somewhat independent course and has never had a desire for public office. His religious faith is that of the Lutheran church and he aided in organizing the schools and churches near his home when upon the farm. For the past three years he has lived retired in Platte Center and has become a stockholder of the Farmers State Bank there. His influence has ever been on the side of advancement and improvement and his labors have wrought substantial results for the benefit of the community. He has long been accounted one of the valued citizens of this part of the state and is one of the honored pioneers of Platte county, having for almost a half century resided within its borders. He has therefore witnessed practically its entire growth and development and his memory forms a connecting link between the primitive past and the progressive present. He remembers the days when there were great stretches of open prairie on which could be seen no trace of the work of man. He rejoices in the changes which have been wrought, introducing into this district an advanced civilization, and none the less remarkable than the growth of the county is the change in his own fortunes, wrought by his own labor and business ability.
John Scholz, who devotes his time and energies to general farming and is also known as one of the leading stockraisers of Loup township, makes his home on section 24, where he has an excellent farm property of one hundred and six acres. He has lived in this county since October 28, 1875, arriving here when a youth of about twelve years. He was born in Moravia, Austria, September 12, 1863, a son of John and Anna (Olbrich) Scholz. The father, who was born in Hukowitz, Austria, on the 18th of April, 1841, passed away on the 28th of August, 1898, at the age of fifty-seven years. He arrived in America on the 28th of October, 1875, and reached Columbus, Nebraska, later in that year, at which time he purchased one hundred and six acres of land, after which he carried on general agricultural pursuits until his life's labors were ended in death. His political allegiance was given to the democratic party after he took out his naturalization papers, and his religious faith was that of the Catholic church. In 1861 he had wedded Miss Anna Olbrich, who was born January 20, 1843, and passed away in Loup township on the 15th of August, 1885.
John Scholz pursued his education in the public schools of Austria until at the age of twelve years he accompanied his parents to the new world. He was early trained to farm labor and has always worked upon his father's farm save for two years when he was employed as a farm hand in the neighborhood. Since his father's death he has purchased the interest of the other heirs in the old home property and is now the owner of one hundred and six acres of land that is rich and arable, responding readily to the care and labor which he bestows upon it. His farm work is carefully conducted along. progressive lines and excellent success rewards his efforts. He is now engaged in the raising of Chester White hogs, shipping quite a number each year, and he also raises Red Polled cattle.
On the 12th of December, 1899, Mr. Scholz was united in marriage to Miss Emma Liebengut, whose birth occurred in Canton Bern, Switzerland, May 20, 1878,
her parents being John and Elizabeth (Nyffenacher) Liebengut. To this union have been born five children, namely: Frank, Walter, Anton, Helen and Esther.
Mr. Scholz is a member of the Catholic church, while his wife belongs to the German Reformed church. In politics he is an independent democrat, holding to the right to form his own opinions and plan his own political course regardless of party dictation. He has served as school director and has filled the office of justice of the peace, in which connection he rendered decisions which were strictly fair and impartial, making an excellent record in office. His life has been an active and useful one, crowned with the measure of success that rewards earnest, persistent labor.
Fritz Loseke, making his home on section 18, Bismark township, has been a resident of Platte county for forty-seven years and has long been actively and successfully identified with agricultural pursuits, now owning three hundred and sixty acres of valuable land in Bismark township and a tract of one hundred and sixty acres in Columbus township. His birth occurred in Oldenburg, Germany, on the 19th of October, 1861, his parents being Johann or, in English, John and Margreta (Beneke) Loseke, also natives of Oldenburg. In the year 1868 they crossed the Atlantic to the United States and made their way direct to Platte county, Nebraska, the father taking up a homestead claim of eighty acres in Bismark township, where our subject now resides. The pioneer home of the family was a sod house of one room, with dimensions of ten by twelve feet. It was a wet season and one night the little structure collapsed. Fritz Loseke, a lad of seven, was sleeping on a trunk or wooden box, while his mother and father lay in bed. The wall fell on the bed bearing down the mother, who was nearly smothered before rescued by the father. John Loseke next erected a one-room frame house, fourteen by sixteen feet, in which the family lived until 1884, which year witnessed the construction of the present commodious frame residence. The one-room frame building also still stands and is now used as a granary. John Loseke continued to reside on this farm until called to his final rest at the age of seventy-eight years, while his wife lived to be eighty-six years old. Both were devoted members of the Lutheran church and their demise was the occasion of deep and widespread regret, for they had won many friends during the long period of their residence in the community. To them were born five children, one son and four daughters, as follows: Fritz, of this review; Annie, who passed away in 1914 and was the wife of John Groteluschen; Catherine, the widow of Bernard H. Asche, a sketch of whom appears on another page of this work; Mary, who was the wife of August Boettcher and passed away in 1885; and Elizabeth the wife of Paul Briese, of Albion, Nebraska.
Fritz Loseke was reared to manhood on the home farm in Bismark township and eventually came into possession of the old homestead property, which comprised two eighty-acre tracts and one of fifty acres. Farming has claimed his attention throughout his entire business career and that success has attended his labors is indicated in the fact that he now owns three hundred and sixty acres of rich and productive land in Bismark township and a tract of one hundred and sixty acres in Columbus
township. He has planted his fields in the grains most suitable to the soil and climate and rich harvests reward his systematic efforts.
On November 18, 1885, Mr. Loseke was united in marriage to Miss Minnie Ahrens, a native of Platte county and a daughter of Edwin and Anna (Loseke) Ahrens. Mr. and Mrs. Loseke have become the parents of eight children, as follows: Alvina, who is now the wife of Henry Barjenbruch, of Leigh, Nebraska; Louise, who gave her hand in marriage to Carl Reins of Shell Creek township; Walter, who follows farming in Columbus township and married Edna Schmitt; and Ida, Edwin, Lawrence, Leona and Selma, all at home.
Mr. Loseke exercises his right of franchise in support of the men and measures of the democracy, believing firmly in its principles. His religious faith is that of the Lutheran church. His life has been in all its phases upright, straightforward and honorable and by intelligent and scientific cultivation of his excellent farm he has gained a comfortable fortune for himself and added to the resources of his section a model agricultural enterprise, the operation of which in all its departments is thoroughly modern, adequate and practical.
REV. KNUTE LOBINSKI.
Rev. Knute Lobinski, pastor of St. Michael's Catholic church at Tarnov, was born in West Prussia, Germany, February 12, 1879, a son of Robert and Ottilia (Brunke) Lobinski, both of whom are natives of West Prussia, where the father learned and followed the wagon making trade. In the year 1881 he brought his family to the new world, making his way to Chicago, where he and his wife now reside. He has put aside active business cares and is living retired.
The Rev. Knute Lobinski attended St. Augustine's school in Chicago and St. Joseph's College at Teutopolis, Illinois. He afterward returned to Chicago, where for a year he studied in the Franciscan Fathers College. Later he went to Indianapolis, where for two years he was a student at the Franciscan College, after which he entered the St. Louis Franciscan Seminary and on the completion of his course of study there was ordained to the priesthood in 1908.
Having thus taken holy orders, Rev. Lobinski was assigned to duty at Radom, Illinois, where for over a year he had charge of two stations. He was then sent to Washington, Missouri, where he served as pastor for a year. He next removed to Cleveland, Ohio, and for eighteen months was assistant in the large St. Stanislas church, after which he was transferred to Chicago as chaplain of the Cook County Infirmary. There he remained for six months and in July, 1913, he arrived in Platte county, Nebraska, having been made pastor of St. Michael's church at Tarnov, where he is still stationed. He also has supervision over the schools of Tarnov, with an attendance of one hundred and sixty pupils, and the church is represented by one hundred and forty-five families. In 1880 a small church building was erected and in 1884 this was remodeled and enlarged. A parochial school was first built in 1886 and in 1890 the Sisters took charge. In 1892 St. Michael's church was again remodeled and enlarged and was incorporated in 1893. The present church edifice, which is a fine one, was erected in 1902 at a cost of eighteen thousand dollars, and in October of that year was dedicated by the Rt. Rev. Richard
Scannell. The new school was built in 1911 and 1912 and with the new home for the priest was dedicated on the 15th of October of the latter year. The church property now includes one of the finest church edifices and schools to be found in Platte county. Four Sisters are now acting as teachers in the school under the charge of Sister Cassiana as superintendent, and under the guidance of Rev. Lobinski the work of the church is growing in all of its various departments.
Carl Sivers, who is successfully engaged in farming and stock-raising in Walker township, was born in York county, Nebraska, January 15, 1885, a son of Alfred Sivers. He was educated in the country schools and in early life became familiar with farm work. He has continued to follow the occupation to which he was reared and now owns and operates the homestead on section 15, Walker township. He carries on general farming and pays especial attention to the raising of cattle and hogs which he finds very profitable. He watches the market carefully and as his stock is in good condition he seldom fails to sell at a good price.
On the 9th of October, 1912, Mr. Sivers was married to Miss Fanny Lymath, a daughter of George and Sarah Lymath, who removed to this county from England many years ago. Mr. and Mrs. Sivers have a daughter, Sophia, who was born November 13, 1913.
Mr. Sivers is a progressive in his political views, believing that in politics, as in other phases of life, continuous advancement should be made. He is a communicant of the Lutheran church and in all relations of life has conformed his conduct to high ethical standards. Although yet a young man, he has gained a gratifying measure of success and his energy and excellent judgment insure him continued prosperity.
In the death of Daniel Murdock, Oconee lost a citizen who had long figured as one of its representative residents and honored business men. He had many sterling traits of character which endeared him to all. His life was as the day with its morning of hope and promise, its noontide of activity, its evening of successful and completed effort, ending in the grateful rest and quiet of the night. He had attained the age of almost seventy-four years when called to his final rest on the 27th of June, 1913, his birth having occurred in Cambridge, Massachusetts, August 1, 1839. He came from Kentucky to Platte county and settled in Lost Creek township in 1884, where the village of Oconee now stands. There he purchased land and to his holdings added from time to time until he became the possessor of eleven hundred acres and was one of the extensive landowners and farmers of the district. He carried on general farming with good success, also built a grain elevator and conducted a lumber business from 1889 until 1907 or for a period of eighteen years. He then sold his elevators to the T. B. Hord Grain Company of Central City, Ne-
braska, and throughout his remaining days lived retired from active business, enjoying a well earned rest.
On the 27th of September, 1865, Mr. Murdock was joined in wedlock to Miss Mary E. Wetherbee, of Boston, Massachusetts, by whom he had two children, namely: Julia, who is the wife of John Dawson, a landowner of Oconee, Nebraska; and Fannie, at home. In religious belief Mr. Murdock was a Unitarian, while his political faith was that of the republican party. He took an active interest in promoting the success of the party and was called to public office, serving as justice of the peace for two terms and also as postmaster, in both of which connections he made an excellent record. He was always loyal to duty and whether in office or out of it was a public-spirited citizen who contributed to the upbuilding of the district in which he lived by supporting all measures and movements which he deemed of public value.
Emil Held, a successful farmer living on section 25, Bismark township, is a native son of that township, his birth having occurred a half mile north of his present farm on section 24, on the 9th of March, 1868. His parents were John and Margaret (Schneller) Held. The father, a native of Wurtemburg, Germany, was born January 13, 1824, and was therefore forty-nine years of age when he passed away in December, 1873. He acquired a good education in his native country and for five years was a soldier, serving as a sub-lieutenant. He emigrated to America in 1854 and became one of the early settlers of Platte county and one of the founders of the town of Columbus. He took up a homestead on Shell creek in Bismark township, and afterward purchased additional land from time to time until he was the owner of four hundred and forty acres at the time of his death. In pioneer times he became an Indian scout and fighter, becoming familiar with all of the wily methods of the red men, conversant with every phase of Indian warfare. He displayed great courage and loyalty in this connection and lived to see the day when there was little danger of Indian attack on the western frontier. He endured all of the hardships and privations incident to pioneer life. He had faith in the possibilities of the county, however, and persevered in spite of obstacles and discouragements, doing his part well in the work of developing a prosperous agricultural region from the wild prairie. He not only aided in the material development of his locality but also did his part in promoting the other interests of life, serving acceptably as school director and aiding in the work of the German Lutheran church to which he belonged. His political allegiance was given to the democratic party. He passed away in December, 1873, and his demise was deeply regretted by many. On the 13th of March, 1861, Mr. Held had wedded Margaret Schneller, who was born in Hessen, Germany, January 1, 1840, and came alone to the new world in 1855. To them were born the following children: Jacob and Gesene, both of whom died in childhood; Louis and John, both residents of Columbus; Emil, of this review; Mary, the wife of Albert Klug, of Columbus; Julius, a resident of California, and Richard, a farmer of Bismark township, this county. After the death of her first husband, Mrs. Held became the wife of Henry Schwartz, who was born in West
Prussia, Germany, July 14, 1848, and died January 15, 1901. By that marriage there were two children: Otto, a farmer of Merrick county; and Frank, living in Shelby. Mrs. Schwartz is now living in Columbus.
Emil Held attended the common schools in the acquirement of his early education and subsequently was for one term a student in the Columbus high school. After reaching mature years he operated the home farm until 1893. Two years later he purchased one hundred and fifty-five acres on section 25, Bismark township, where he has since lived and which he has fenced and otherwise improved. He carries on general farming and specializes in the raising of shorthorn cattle and graded Poland China hogs. His work is well managed and yields him a good financial return.
On the 26th of October, 1893, occurred the marriage of Mr. Held and Miss Rachel Schmid, a daughter of Adam and Barbara (Baumgartner) Schmid. She was born in Colfax county, this state, July 19, 1875, and died June 8, 1911, leaving six children: Lottie; Elsie; Lily, who is in high school; and Margaret, Louis and Gertrude, all attending the common schools.
Mr. Held gives his political allegiance to the democratic party and has taken considerable interest in local public affairs. He has been a member of the township board and is now serving his fourth term as school director, his retention in that office being the best proof of his faithful and efficient discharge of the duties devolving upon him. He is an influential member of the German Lutheran church, of which he is serving as secretary, and in his religious faith is found the guiding force of his life. He is also a trustee and secretary of the Calvary Cemetery Association. Like his father, he has always been willing to do anything in his power to promote the public good and is recognized as one of the valuable citizens of his township.
Henry Sissle, devoting his attention to general agricultural pursuits with excellent results, owns and cultivates three hundred and twenty acres of land on sections 14 and 15, Columbus township. His birth occurred near Canton, Stark county, Ohio, on the 15th of January, 1873, his parents being John W. and Susan (Derr) Sissle, the former born in Wurtemberg, Germany, December 30, 1830, and the latter in Lancaster county, Pennsylvania, May 2, 1834. John W. Sissle crossed the Atlantic to the United States in young manhood, locating in Lancaster county, Pennsylvania, where he learned the blacksmith's trade. Subsequently he removed to Stark county, Ohio, and there worked at his trade until the outbreak of the Civil war. Scarcity of money obliged him to abandon blacksmithing and he purchased a small farm near Canton which he operated until 1883, when he came to Platte county, Nebraska, arriving here on the 28th day of March. He purchased one hundred and sixty acres of land on section 14, Columbus township, which had been originally taken up by James Warner and was the third place entered in that part of the county. There he carried on agricultural pursuits continuously and successfully until called to his final rest in 1911, when he had attained the age of eighty years. The period of his residence in this county covered twenty-eight years and in his passing the community lost one of its substantial agriculturists and esteemed citizens. It was in the year 1860, in Ohio, that he wedded Miss Susan Derr, who passed away in Columbus,
Nebraska, March 27, 1914, when eighty years of age. Both were consistent and faithful members of the Church of God. They became the parents of seven children, three of whom survive, namely: Henry, of this review; Emma, who is a resident of Columbus; and Mrs. Anna Moore, living in Genoa, Nebraska.
Henry Sissle was a youth of ten years when brought to this county by his parents and has always remained on the old home farm in Columbus township. After his mother's death he purchased the property and has since bought an additional tract of one hundred and sixty acres, so that his holdings now embrace three hundred and twenty acres of valuable land. He carries on general farming and is a hard-working, industrious man who well merits the success which has come to him.
As a companion and helpmate on the journey of life Mr. Sissle chose Miss Greta Lawrence, a native of Adams county, Iowa, by whom he has four children, namely: Harry, Edith, Martha and Mabel. The parents are members of the Church of God. Henry Sissle has lived in Platte county for more than three decades and enjoys an enviable reputation as one of its representative agriculturists and respected citizens
D. H. HARRINGTON.
Business enterprise in Duncan finds a worthy representative in D. H. Harrington, the vice president of the Duncan State Bank and also a prominent figure in connection with the grain, lumber and coal trade. His judgment is sound, his sagacity keen and the energy which he displays in carrying on his business affairs has also been one of the salient forces in his success. He was born in Niagara county, New York, July 24, 1860, a son of Daniel and Mary Harrington, both of whom were natives of Sligo, Ireland. In early life the father came to the United States and settled near Lockport, New York, where he engaged in farming. His wife died in the year 1863.
D. H. Harrington acquired his education in the common schools but his course was often interrupted owing to the necessity of providing for his own support. He left home when but ten years of age and worked as a farm hand, being employed in that way near Newton, Jasper county, Iowa. Later he removed to Lancaster county, Nebraska, in 1875 and there engaged in farm work and also attended school. He afterward returned to Iowa, settling in Mills county, where he began farming on his own account on a tract of land which he rented. He lived there from 1878 until 1884, when he went to Cheyenne, Wyoming, and was with the Warren Stock Company on a ranch, where he punched cattle and did general ranch work. On the 15th of July, 1887, he came to Duncan and started a feeding ranch for the Warren Live Stock Company of Cheyenne. He had charge of the feeding at this place until 1898 and fed thousands of cattle, sheep and horses. In that year, however, ambitious to engage in business on his own account, he embarked in the grain trade and so continued until 1901, when he became manager for the T. B. Hord Grain Company. He is now the manager of a large grain, lumber and coal business, which he capably and successfully controls. He also aided in promoting and organizing the Duncan State Bank, of which he was chosen as vice president, in which position he still continues, his ability and energy constituting an impetus that has brought success to the institution. His fellow officers are George P. Bissell, president,
and A. J. Lindley, cashier. The bank is capitalized for ten thousand dollars and has a surplus of thirty-five hundred dollars. It was chartered on the 27th of September, 1909, its stockholders being: George P. Bissell, of Central City; A. J. Lindley and D. H. Harrington, of Duncan; C. H. Gray, of Central City; Herman Ernst and John P. Sokal, of Duncan; and Hannah L. S. Lonsey, of Clarks. The bank opened its doors for business January 2, 1910, and its official statement issued April 21, 1915, showed the business to be in an excellent condition. It now has over thirty-one thousand dollars on deposit and over sixty-nine thousand dollars in loans and discounts. The total business of the bank in all of its different connections and interests figures up to ninety-three thousand, two hundred and twenty-eight dollars.
On the 24th of December, 1892, Mr. Harrington was united in marriage to Miss Letitia Jones, a native of Jasper county, Iowa, and a daughter of Lewis Jones, who was one of the early farmers of that county. In 1884 he came to Platte county, Nebraska, and began farming in Butler township, carrying on general agricultural pursuits to the present time upon the homestead which he secured on first coming to the county.
Mr. Harrington is a member of the Masonic lodge at Silver Creek, having joined the order on attaining his majority. He also belongs to Columbus Lodge of the Ancient Order of United Workmen. In politics he is a republican and for many years has been one of the active party workers, his influence carrying weight in its local councils. He has been a member of the central committee and he has also served as a member of the city council of Duncan, which town he aided in incorporating. He has made his own way in life, but he does not bear the scars and the marks of battle. Although he has had many difficulties with which to contend he has maintained a kindly spirit, a generous disposition and an upright purpose and is one of the most popular men in the county. His success has not aroused envy because it has been honorably won and because it has constituted an element in the upbuilding and progress of the community.
Thomas Hill is the owner of Longview Farm, situated on section 25, Monroe township, and is a well known citizen of that locality. He was born in County Antrim, Ireland, February 6, 1848, and after acquiring a common-school education began work as a farm hand in Ireland. later he became a resident of Canada and in 1868 went to California, where he lived somewhat of a roving life for some time. On leaving the Pacific coast he made his way to Australia and to New Zealand, working at odd jobs. His extensive travels, however, brought him a broad knowledge of the world, its country and its people, and he draws upon his experiences for many interesting reminiscences and tales. In 1870 he returned to San Francisco and lived in California intermittently until 1882. He has also taken three trips back to Ireland. In the year mentioned, however, he settled upon a more stable course, removing to Platte county, where he purchased raw prairie and railroad lands, becoming the owner of one hundred and twenty acres on section 25, Monroe township, at which time he began to farm. A third of a century has since come and gone and he still lives upon that place, which he has converted into-a valuable farm property.
He has added to his possessions from time to time until he is now the owner of four hundred and fifty-five acres, having two hundred and forty acres in the home farm, which is nicely improved. He there raises Duroc-Jersey hogs and shorthorn cattle and also feeds considerable stock, becoming recognized as one of the representative dealers in live stock in this community. The active work of the farm he has now largely put aside, his sons relieving him of that labor. In addition to his other interests he is a stockholder in the Monroe State Bank.
In the year in which he became a permanent resident of Nebraska Thomas Hill was married in Boston, Massachusettes to Miss Elizabeth Wilhelmina Blanckenberg, who was born in Cape Town, South Africa, a daughter of James and Hester (Schultz) Blanckenberg. Mr. Blanckenberg was in the civil service and was for many years recorder of deeds in the registrar's office. He was a well educated, widely traveled man, very progressive, and his enterprise contributed in large measure to the development and improvement of Cape Town, where he lived until his death. He was an active member of the Episcopal church. To Mr. and Mrs. Hill have been born five children: William, Hester and Gordon, all at home; Charles, a druggist of Monroe; and Roland, at home. All of the children have been given good educational privileges.
The parents are consistent and faithful members of the Episcopal church and Mr. Hill gave the lot on which to build the church in Monroe. He has been a generous contributor of time and money to the advancement of the cause and both he and his wife have been most active in furthering its interests, while in various church offices he has been a worthy incumbent. Both are held in high esteem and the hospitality of the best homes of this locality is freely extended them, while the good cheer of Longview Farm makes it a favorite resort for their many friends.
HERMAN G. LUESCHEN.
Herman G. Lueschen, proprietor of a general stock farm on section 8, Sherman township, was born in Oldenburg, Germany, January 22, 1838, a son of Henry and Kate Margaret (Kuhlman) Groteluschen. After spending his youthful days in the fatherland, Herman G. Lueschen of this review came to the new world in 1858, settling at Mayville, Wisconsin, where he was employed at farm labor. He emigrated to America in order to become an American citizen and his interest in his adopted country was such that when the safety of the Union was menaced he joined the army almost immediately .after the outbreak of the war, enlisting in April, 1861, as a member of Company E, Third Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry. With his command he went to the south and in the operations of his regiment in the Shenandoah valley in Virginia was captured. For four months he was imprisoned at Lynchburg, Virginia, and at Bell Island, after which he was exchanged. He took part in a number of hotly contested engagements and at the battle of Chancellorsville was wounded in the left leg, which incapacitated him for field service for three months. He was afterward called to New York to aid in the suppression of riots attendant upon the enforcement of the draft. Later he was on duty in Virginia, and under Sherman he participated in the siege of Atlanta. The entire regiment reenlisted, continuing at the front until the close
MR. AND MRS. HERMAN G. LUESCHEN
of the war, at which time Mr. Lueschen and his comrades participated in the grand review in Washington, where thousands of victorious soldiers marched through the streets of the city--streets that were lined by a cheering multitude, while over broad Pennsylvania avenue there hung a banner bearing the words "The only debt which the country owes that she cannot pay is the debt which she owes to her soldiers."
Mr. Lueschen returned to Wisconsin but in 1869 removed to Nebraska and entered one hundred and sixty acres of his present farm on section 8, Sherman township. He has since extended the boundaries of his place until it now comprises two hundred and thirty acres, much of which he has brought under a high state of cultivation, producing good crops annually. He also engages in general stockraising and makes large shipments to the markets. His business has been carefully and persistently conducted, and sound judgment has directed his efforts at all times, so that he has won substantial success.
Mr. Lueschen was married December 3, 1865, to Miss Bertha Spanhake, who was born October 28, 1847, and who by her marriage became the mother of nine children. Her death occurred May 12, 1910.
In politics Mr. Lueschen is independent but is not remiss in the duties of citizenship, aiding in various plans and measures for the general good. For a long period he served as postmaster at Boheet and for over twenty years was school director. He belongs to St. Paul's Evangelical church and has ever guided his life according to its teachings. He has now passed the age of seventy-seven years, and his has been a creditable and honorable record, marked not only by loyalty to his country in times of war but also in times of peace and by equal loyalty to every cause that he has espoused.
A student of history cannot carry his investigations far into the annals of Platte county without learning that the Ahrens family have taken active and prominent part in advancing the agricultural development of this part of the state and thereby contributing to the material wealth and prosperity of Platte county. A worthy representative of this family is John Ahrens, a most enterprising and successful general farmer, stock-raiser, feeder and shipper. Sound judgment characterizes him in the management of all of his business interests, which are bringing to him gratifying and well earned success.
The old Ahrens homestead was one of the early settled farms of the county and it was upon that place that John Ahrens was born January 20, 1863, his parents being Edwin and Anna (Loseke) Ahrens, of whom mention is made elsewhere in this work in connection with the sketch of their son, Edwin Ahrens, Jr. At the usual age John Ahrens entered the district schools and to that system is indebted for the educational privileges which he enjoyed. He worked upon the home farm, continuing to assist his father until he reached the age of twenty-five years, when he started out in business on his own account. He has since carried on general agricultural pursuits. At first he operated one hundred and sixty acres of the home farm, to which he devoted his attention for a few years, and then he made
|© Oldtime Nebraska, 2000,