On the 25th of February, 1878, Mr. Braun was united in marriage to Miss Josephine Scheidemantel, a daughter of Henry and Cunnigunda (Meyer) Scheidemantel, who were natives of Bavaria. They came to America in early life and settled in Wisconsin, where the father purchased land, upon which he lived for some years. Later he removed with his family to Iowa and became the owner of a farm in Winneshiek county, devoting his remaining days to its development and improvement. He died January 16, 1888, and was long survived by his wife, who passed away in November, 1908. Mr. and Mrs. Braun have become parents of ten children: Cunnigunda, the wife of Bernard Lohaus, a resident farmer of Humphrey township; Peter J., who is living in Chicago; Henry J., a resident farmer of Granville township; Mary. the wife of Henry .J. Haferland, who follows farming in Humphrey township; Minnie, a trained nurse located in Atlantic, Iowa; Leo J., a farmer of Boone county, Nebraska; Anna, the wife of John Eggers, residing in Humphrey; Josephine, who is studying in Omaha for the profession of nursing; Joseph F. E., at home; and Anna Rosa, who died in August, 1894.
Mr. Braun has been very prominent in community affairs. He is a member of the Catholic church, and his political support is given to the democratic party, on which ticket he has been elected to serve in positions of honor and trust. In 1884 and 1885 he served as county supervisor and for sixteen years he filled the office of justice of the peace. He also served as township treasurer and as clerk, acting in the latter position for ten years. The fact that he has been again and again chosen for public office indicates the confidence reposed in him by his fellow townsmen, who regard him as a capable and faithful official, his loyalty standing as an unquestioned fact in his career.
C. G. LUDTKE.
C. G. Ludtke, who has gained an enviable reputation as a progressive farmer and stock-raiser, is a native son of Platte county, his birth having occurred in Sherman township. His natal year was 1878 and his parents were Herman and Louisa (Meyer) Ludtke, both natives of Germany. They were married, however, in Platte county, Nebraska, where they arrived about 1863. The father homesteaded eighty acres in Sherman township and purchased land from time to time, owning at the time of his death six hundred and forty acres. His first wife died in 1891, and he subsequently married Miss Anna Beitel, who, following his death in 1900, became the wife of Wendolin Brauner. By Mr. Ludtke's first marriage there were born eight children and by his second four.
C. G. Ludtke grew to manhood in this county and through assisting his father gained much valuable knowledge of agricultural work. He received a good common school education and also attended the Agricultural College at Lincoln, thus better fitting himself for successful farming. He owns one hundred and sixty acres of his father's estate, which he purchased from the other heirs, and carries on general farming, specializing, however, to some extent in raising high grade Poland China hogs. The buildings upon the place are substantial and well designed and everything is kept in excellent repair.
Mr. Ludtke was married February 23, 1911, to Miss Anna Dirks, a daughter of
M. H. Dirks, a prominent farmer of Sherman township, and to this union have been born two children, Helen Louise and Lulu Lucile.
Mr. Ludtke gives his political allegiance to the democratic party and for six years served acceptably as township clerk. He is a communicant of the Lutheran church and takes an active interest in the work of that organization. A native of Platte county, he has thoroughly identified himself with its interests and is always willing to do anything within his power to promote its development and progress.
E. J. WEIDNER.
Among the successful farmers of St. Bernard township is E. J. Weidner, who was born in Cook county, Illinois, June 24,1869, a son of Jacob and Mary Weidner. The parents removed to Platte county, Nebraska, in 1883. E. J. Weidner came to this county with his brother, Adam Weidner, in 1884, a year after his parents had removed here. During the greater part of the time that has since intervened he has resided upon the same farm on section 14, St. Bernard township, and he has proven a very efficient agriculturist. He owns one hundred and sixty acres of land, which is well improved, and derives a good income from his farm. From 1907 until 1912 he resided in Lindsay, where he owned and operated the electric light plant. Subsequently he conducted a garage in Lindsay for two years but in 1914 returned to the farm, where he has since remained.
On the 24th of November, 1891, Mr. Weidner was married to Miss Della Albrecht, a daughter of John Albrecht, and to this union have been born ten children, as follows: Mary, now the wife of Allen Broehle, of this county; and Anna, Henrietta, Herman, Anastasia, Raymond, Anthony, Alice, Luella and Clare, all at home.
The political allegiance of Mr. Weidner is given to the democratic party, and his religious faith is that of the Catholic church. His has been a life of wisely directed energy, and he has won a gratifying measure of financial success. He has also gained the full confidence and goodwill of those with whom he has been brought into contact.
William Kurt is well known in business circles of Columbus as a cigar manufacturer, in which connection he has built up a trade of large and gratifying proportions. In public affairs, too, he is actively interested and is now serving as a member of the city council, in which connection he is doing important work for the public welfare.
He was born in Platte county, May 1, 1870, his parents being John and Mary Kurt, the father having come to this state from Switzerland in the year 1869. He established his home upon a farm and it was upon that place that William Kurt was born and reared, working with his father in the fields until he reached the age of fourteen years, when he started out upon an independent business career. He afterward followed different occupations. He engaged for a time in
cattle herding and later turned his attention to the cigar-maker's trade, with which he familiarized himself, becoming an expert workman in that line. In 1900 he embarked in the cigar-manufacturing business on his own account and through his persistent, earnest efforts has built up a large trade, selling to local merchants. He manufactures the Little Duke, a five cent cigar, and the annual output is between two hundred and two hundred and ten thousand cigars. He uses the latest improved processes in manufacture, observes the most sanitary conditions in the care of the plant and by reason of his reliable business methods and unfaltering enterprise has gained a substantial measure of prosperity.
Mr. Kurt is well known in fraternal circles. He belongs to Thusuelda Lodge, No. 12, O. D. H. S.; Platte Aerie, No. 1834, F. O. E., of which he is a charter member and the vice president; Columbus Lodge, No. 1195, B. P. O. E., and Columbus Nest, No. 117, O. O. O. He also has membership with the Columbus Maennerchor and with the Columbus Commercial Club and is interested in all of the plans of the latter organization to promote the business expansion and advance the material development of the city. In politics he is an earnest democrat, recognized as a local leader in party ranks. He is now serving for the fifth year as a member of the city council from the second ward and is chairman of the finance committee and a member of the judiciary, public property, waterworks and claims committees. His reelection to the office proves the confidence reposed in him by his fellow townsmen and the faith of his constituents has never been betrayed in the slightest degree. On the contrary, he is known as a citizen who works earnestly to further the public welfare, and he has made an excellent record for himself in this connection and as a self-made and thoroughly reliable business man.
WILLIAM JAMES WALTER.
During the past decade William James Walter has been a prominent representative of business interests in Columbus as president of the Columbus Brewing Company. His birth occurred in Mendota, Illinois, on the 2d of July, 1859, his parents being Christian and Mary Ann (Kramm) Walter, both of whom were natives of Germany, the latter born in Frankfort-on-the-Main. Their marriage was celebrated in Chicago, Illinois, and Christian Walter passed away in Mendota, that state, in 1871, at the age of forty-eight years, having been born in 1823. The demise of his wife occurred in Aurora, Illinois, in June, 1913.
William J. Walter was reared in Chicago to the age of seven years and then accompanied his parents on their removal to Mendota, Illinois, where he attended school until eleven years old. Subsequently he learned the marble-cutting trade in Mendota and there worked at that occupation until twenty-three years of age, when he went to Amboy, Illinois, where he was employed at his trade for a year. He was there married and next removed to Aurora, Illinois, where he entered the service of a Chicago concern in whose interests he traveled as a salesman for twelve years. On the expiration of that period, in 1894, he began selling brewing supplies for a Pittsburgh firm, being connected with its Chicago branch. This experience gave him broad knowledge of the business, so that in 1905 he came to Columbus, Nebraska, and embarked upon an independent venture as president of the
WILLIAM J. WALTER
Columbus Brewing Company, which he has since conducted in a most able and successful manner. He is likewise a director of the Columbus Accident & Health Association of Columbus.
Mr. Walter has been married twice. In 1881, at Amboy, Illinois, he wedded Miss Anna M. Fasoldt, who passed away in Aurora, that state, leaving four sons, namely: Leo G.; Edward W., who died at the age of twenty-one years; Otto F., mentioned on another page of this work, who is now serving as county attorney of Platte county; and Carl A., who is attending school. On the 8th of August, 1905, in Dixon, Illinois, Mr. Walter was again married, his second union being with Miss Mary Elizabeth Odenthal, by whom he has one son and two daughters, namely: Frederick William, Helen Marie and Pauline Catharine.
In politics Mr. Walter is a stanch democrat and he is now a colonel on the staff of Governor Morehead. Fraternally he is identified with the Elks, the Eagles and the Owls and he has been president of the Sons of Herman and president of the Maennerchor. He likewise belongs to the Orpheus Society, while his religious faith is that of the Catholic church. Mr. Walter is public-spirited, patriotic and capable and has fairly won the high place he holds in the estimation of his fellow citizens.
H. ARTHUR PALMATEER.
H. Arthur Palmateer, who since the spring of 1912 has been engaged in the hardware and implement business at Creston as a member of the firm of Leach & Palmateer, is a business man of well defined principles that at all times measure up to the highest standard of commercial ethics. He has ever recognized the fact that success depends upon persistency of purpose, close application and indefatigable energy and these qualities he has employed throughout his entire business career. He was born in New York, September 9, 1871, a son of George and Eimmie (Filkins) Palmateer, both of whom were natives of New York. The father was a farmer by occupation and followed that pursuit in the Empire state until 1878, when he came to Platte county. After renting land for several years, during which he carefully saved his earnings, he finally purchased a farm in Humphrey township and further cultivated and improved that property until his death, which occurred in 1901. For six years he had survived his wife, who died in 1895.
H. Arthur Palmateer is indebted to the public-school system of this county for the educational privileges he enjoyed as he was but seven years of age when the family removed to Nebraska. In his youthful days he was trained to the work of the fields and continued to assist his father until he reached the age of twenty-three years, when he and his brothers took charge of the old homestead, which they operated together until 1897. In that year H. A. Palmateer and his brother Frank bought two hundred and forty acres of land and following their father's death he and his brother purchased the interest of the other heirs in the old homestead property and now own five hundred and sixty acres of rich and arable land, from which they annually derive a gratifying income. The old homestead is on section 11, Humphrey township, and there H. Arthur Palmateer still resides, as does also his brother, Frank. They are still farming together and are numbered among the
leading agriculturists of the county. One hundred and sixty acres of their land is on section 2, while the remainder is on section 11, Humphrey township. In addition to carefully tilling the soil they raise high grade stock and that branch of their business nets them a good financial return. In the spring of 1912 H. A. Palmateer purchased an interest of Mr. Leach in a hardware and implement business at Creston, in which he is now a partner. They carry an extensive line of shelf and heavy hardware and also do a large business in the sale of implements. They likewise handle the Ford and Studebaker cars and sell many machines annually. In addition to all of his other interests Mr. Palmateer is a stockholder in the Farmers Elevator Company at Creston and in the Citizens State Bank. His keen interest enables him to recognize the value of a business situation and its opportunities and in the conduct of his affairs he readily discriminates between the essential and the nonessential.
On the 16th of January, 1894, occurred the marriage of Mr. Palmateer and Miss Ora Pruitt, a daughter of Harry and Mary Pruitt, both of whom were natives of Indiana. They came to Platte county at an early period in its development and Mr. Pruitt purchased land in Humphrey township, where he persistently and successfully carried on general farming until 1907. He then retired and removed to Omaha, where he and his wife still reside. Mr. and Mrs. Palmateer have become the parents of four children, namely: Harry, whose birth occurred November 17, 1896; Homer, born July 15, 1898; Russell, born July 28, 1900; and Dessie, born November 20, 1903. The parents are Methodists in religious faith and loyally adhere to the teachings of the church.
Mr. Palmateer exercises his right of franchise in support of the men and measures of the democratic party and fraternally is connected with the Highlanders and the Knights of Pythias. His has been an active, well spent and useful life, crowned with a substantial measure of success, which is the merited reward and indication of persistent, earnest labor intelligently directed. He has also taken a helpful interest in matters relating to the public welfare and his efforts have been an element in advancing those interests which are a matter of civic virtue and civic pride.
M. J. WEIDNER.
M. J. Weidner is a well known hardware merchant of Lindsay, where he is carrying a large stock and conducting a good store, of which he has been sole proprietor since 1898. He was born in Lake county, Illinois, September 4, 1866, and in early life learned and followed the carpenter's trade. He dates his residence in Platte county from 1893, in which year he came to Nebraska with his brother. He divided his time between farming and carpentering until 1902, when he took up his abode in Lindsay, and the following year he and his brother-in-law Joseph Beller, purchased the hardware business of Mr. Steiner and conducted the store until 1908. Mr. Weidner then purchased his partner's interest and has since been alone in business. He now carries a well selected line of shelf and heavy hardware and stoves and is thus ready to meet the demands of his patrons, who
find him a reliable, enterprising merchant, just in his dealings and reasonable in his prices.
Mr. Weidner married Miss Josephine Beller, and they have become parents of four children: Wilferd, Hildegarde, Cyrus and Valeria. The family are Catholics in religious faith and Mr. Weidner is identified with the Foresters. His political indorsement is given to the democratic party and he keeps well informed regarding the leading questions and issues of the day but does not seek nor desire office. There has been no spectacular phase in his life history; he works hard, is persistent and energetic, and along well defined lines of labor he is meeting with success.
PETER H. ALBERS.
Peter H. Albers makes his home on section 30, Burrows township, and is the owner of four hundred and fifty-eight acres of rich and arable land. His place constitutes one of the attractive features of the landscape by reason of the carefully cultivated fields and the fine modern improvements which he has put upon his farm. He belongs to that class of substantial citizens that Germany has furnished to Platte county, his birth having occurred in the fatherland, March 19, 1852. His parents, Hans P. and Elizabeth (Peters) Albers, were also natives of Germany, and there the father engaged in farming throughout his entire life, passing away in his native country in 1869. His widow afterward came to the new world with her son Peter, with whom she continued to reside until she, too, was called to her final rest in the year 1886.
Peter H. Albers spent his youthful days in his native country and there acquired a fair education. He early became familiar with farm methods and operated his father's land until he came to America in 1883, making Platte county his destination. Soon after his arrival here he purchased two hundred and twenty acres of land in Shell Creek township and at once began to make improvements thereon and till the fields. He was thus engaged until 1886, when he traded that property for his present place, becoming the owner of two hundred and twenty acres on section 30, Burrows township, to which he afterward added by purchase until his possessions now aggregate four hundred and fifty-eight acres on sections 29, 30 and 33. None of the equipment and improvements of a model farm of the twentieth century are lacking here. In fact, the place presents a most attractive appearance with its large and substantial buildings, its rich pasture land and well cultivated fields. Mr. Albers makes a specialty of raising shorthorn cattle and Belgian mares, and he feeds and ships from one to two carloads of cattle and about one hundred head of hogs annually.
On December 21, 1883, Mr. Albers was united in marriage to Miss Katherine Reese, a daughter of John and Katherine (Muesing) Reese, who were natives of Germany, in which country the father died. The mother afterward married Peter Lutejens and came to the new world in 1883, settling in this county where her husband purchased land in Shell Creek township which he cultivated until his death. He was called to his final rest in 1903, while his wife passed away in 1897. Mr. and Mrs. Alhers have become the parents of eleven children: Henry, who is
engaged in carpentering in Columbus; Freda, the wife of Thomas Thomazin, a resident farmer of this county; Bertha, the wife of Ray Baltz, who follows farming near Fremont, Nebraska; Emma, the wife of Ed Erickson, a farmer of Monroe township; and John, Alma, Walter, Martha, Elvin, William and Verna, all at home.
Mr. Albers has ever been interested in educational progress, desiring that his children should have good advantages along that line, and for twelve years he has done effective work as a member of the school board. He votes with the republican party and he guides his life by the teachings of the Baptist church, of which he is an earnest and faithful member. He possesses many admirable and sterling traits of character, his salient qualities being such as command respect and confidence in every land and clime.
Gerhard Rosche is a representative of farming interests of Sherman township. He devoted his attention to general agricultural pursuits on section 20 for a long period but is now practically living retired although he still occupies the farm. He was born in Oldenburg, Germany, October 22, 1848, a son of Bernhard and Katrina (Luejelueshen) Rosche. The father owned a small farm and also conducted a small store in Oldenburg, where he spent his entire life, passing away in 1862 at the age of fifty-four years. His wife died in 1861, when but forty-two years of age.
Gerhard Rosche was the third in order of birth in a family of seven children and was but fourteen years of age when left an orphan. He attended school in his native country and afterward worked at farm labor there, remaining a resident of Germany until he reached the age of nineteen years, when, in 1868, he came alone to the United States, settling at Mayville, Dodge county, Wisconsin, where he lived for two years. From 1872 until 1874 he was a resident of Minnesota and in the latter year arrived in Platte county, Nebraska, but afterward went to North Platte, where he remained for about two years. On the expiration of that period he returned to Platte county, where he began farming. His father-in-law, Gerhard Asche, had taken a homestead but after a year had died and Mr. Rosche then took possession of the property. There was a sod house upon it but practically no other buildings or improvements. Mr. Rosche had a little money and engaged in operating a horse power threshing machine. He owned his own team and upon his farm he built a house twenty-four by fourteen feet. There were practically no improvements in the township and the work of development seemed scarcely begun. The enterprising efforts of Mr. Rosche soon wrought a marked transformation in the appearance of his home place, for as the years went on he set out trees, erected a comfortable and commodious modern residence, built good barns and in fact made all of the improvements upon the farm, keeping in touch at all times with modern progressive farm methods. He began with eighty acres of land and has now three hundred and twenty acres in his home place, in addition to which he has property in Columbus. Year by year he carefully tilled the soil and the crops which he so earnestly cultivated brought to him a growing income which in time made him the possessor of a handsome competence. He also engaged quite extensively in the raising of high grade Hereford cattle, and he called his place the Hereford Stock Farm. He also took
first prize on a pair of Arabian mares and Arabian colts at the Platte County Fair in 1915. In 1912 he retired from active farm life but still lives upon the old homestead although he owns property in Columbus.
On the 15th of March, 1878, Mr. Rosche was married to Miss Sophia Asche, who was born in Oldenburg, Germany, in 1856, a daughter of Gerhard and Katrine (Englebart) Asche, both of whom were natives of Oldenburg. They came to the United States in 1873, but the wife and mother died shortly after her arrival. The father, having settled in Platte county, secured a homestead, built a sod house and began life here in true pioneer style, his daughter Sophia acting as housekeeper for her father. To Mr. and Mrs. Rosche have been born four children. Matilda is the wife of Gus Loseke, by whom she has three children, Olga, Emma and Elmer. Clara married William Cattau, of Sherman township, by whom she has a son, Elmer. Anna is the wife of Herman Cattau, who operates her father's farm, and they have two children, Holger and Hulda. Adela, the youngest of the family, lives with her father.
Mr. Rosche has voted with the republican party since he became a naturalized American citizen but does not seek nor desire office. He belongs to the Lutheran church, of which he has been an active member, helping to build the church near his home and assisting in its work in many ways. His life has ever been guided by high and honorable principles, and he has displayed many sterling traits of character. He is a self-made man, having started out empty-handed, and, realizing that industry is the basis of all honorable success, he has worked diligently and persistently. Today he is numbered among the prosperous residents of his township, and that his life has been well spent is indicated in the high regard entertained for him by those who know him.
William Herchenbach, who owns a good farm of three hundred and twenty acres on section 13, St. Bernard township, was born in the Rhine province of Prussia, November 7, 1864, a son of Henry and Helen (Wiersberg) Herchenbach. The father was a saddler and harness repairer.
William Herchenbach, who was the eldest in a family of three children, received a common-school education and as a boy assisted his father. When nineteen years of age he, in company with several other youths, emigrated to America and made his way to LaSalle county, Illinois. There he worked as a farm hand for about nine years, after which he rented land for a similar period of time. In 1900 he purchased one hundred and sixty acres of land in St. Bernard township, Platte county, Nebraska, paying therefor thirty-seven dollars and a half per acre, and in January, 1901, he took up his residence upon that place. At that time the farm had no improvements but he at once began its development. In 1906 he bought an additional eighty acres, which he sold in 1914, but in July, 1915, he purchased one hundred and sixty acres, also on section 13, paying one hundred and thirty-eight dollars per acre, which indicates the rapid advance in land values in this county. He has erected a fine residence upon his place and also large barns and sheds and everything is in excellent condition. Since 1909 he has raised full blooded Holstein cattle
and also breeds Red Polled cattle and Duroc-Jersey hogs. He is living retired to a large extent, leaving the actual work of the farm to his sons. In addition to his landed holdings he owns stock in the St. Bernard Telephone Company, the Farmers Elevator Association of Lindsay and the Farmers Union Store of Lindsay.
On the 9th of February, 1892, Mr. Herchenbach was married, in La Salle county, Illinois, to Miss Mary Happ, an early settler of La Salle county, who came to this country from Germany. Mr. and Mrs. Herchenbach have the following children: Carrie, Henry, Peter, Eva, Helen and Edward.
Mr. Herchenbach and family are communicants of the Roman Catholic church at St. Bernard and in politics he is independent. Although he has never been an office seeker he has always taken a commendable interest in public affairs and is willing to aid in movements seeking the community advancement. His agreeable personality and strict integrity have won him many warm friends and he is respected by all who know him.
Robert Pinson is a retired farmer and ex-postmaster of Platte Center and is a well known citizen whose genuine personal worth, as well as his business ability and his creditable official record, have gained for him a high position in public regard. Platte county has many citizens of foreign birth and among this number is Mr. Pinson, who was born at Norfolk, England, on the 14th of February, 1842, his parents being James and Mary (Anderson) Pinson, in whose family of five children Robert is the eldest. He has one brother, William, who is still living, a resident of Lost Creek township, this county.
Robert Pinson is indebted to the public-school system of his native country for the educational privileges which he enjoyed. He learned the molder's trade in England, serving an apprenticeship of four and a half years, after which he worked along that line until 1865. He was then married in August, 1865, in England, to Mrs. Susan Everhard and turned his attention from industrial to commercial pursuits, becoming proprietor of a general store, which he conducted for five years. He then sold out and came to the United States, landing at Portland, Maine. He was accompanied by his brother William and it was their intention to visit an uncle living in Toronto, but on reaching that city they could not find him, as they had lost his address. While in the depot at that place they saw a number of people buying tickets for Nebraska and, thinking that there must be something to attract them in large numbers to that state, they followed the example of the others and purchased tickets for their passage from Toronto to Omaha. On reaching the latter city they were informed that homesteads could be secured near Columbus and, making their way to Platte county, both Robert and William Pinson took up eighty acres of land in Lost Creek township. Later Robert Pinson added sixty acres more and continued to engage actively and successfully in farming until 1890, when he accepted the position of postmaster of Platte Center, to which he was appointed by President Harrison. He served for four years and upon the expiration of his term of office again took up the occupation of farming but in 1898 he was once more appointed postmaster by President McKinley and served continuously for
seventeen years, or until he resigned on the 1st of January, 1915. He had made a most creditable record in that position, caring for the mails in a most prompt and systematic manner and performing every duty of the office in the most conscientious and able way. Immediately after his retirement from the position of postmaster he was appointed justice of the peace. He was also township clerk for seven years and township assessor for four years, and while living on the farm held the office of school director for ten years. He still owns his farm in Lost Creek township and he also owns one hundred and sixty acres in Holt county, Nebraska. His farm property in Platte county is well improved and is a valuable and productive tract of land.
Mr. and Mrs. Pinson became the parents of one son, Tom J. E., who was born in England in 1868 and is now living on the home farm. He married Miss Lena Scheidel and has three children. By her first marriage Mrs. Susan Pinson had one daughter, Jane Mary, now the widow of Willard Chapin and a resident of Walla Walla, Washington. She has a son and two daughters. Mrs. Pinson passed sway June 4, 1910, and Mr. Pinson was married again on the 8th of October, 1911, his second union being with Mary C. McCarty, a native of Maryland, who lived for a time in Ohio.
Mr. Pinson is a member of the Ancient Order of United Workmen, having membership with the lodge in Columbus, in which he has passed all the chairs. His long connection with public office made him widely known and he was ever a courteous and obliging official, while his record has at all times been that of a commendable citizen loyal to the best interests intrusted to his care.
CHARLES L. LUND.
Although one of the more recent acquisitions to the industrial circles of Columbus, Charles L. Lund, as proprietor of the Columbus Planing Mill, has become well known in this section and has built up a good business in his particular line. He was born in Sweden, August 16, 1867, a son of Lars Hansson and Louise (Person) Lund, who were there born and reared, and the father is still living in the land of his nativity. The mother, however, is deceased, her death occurring in 1903.
Charles L. Lund was reared in the parental home and acquired a common-school education. At the age of twenty years he had a strong desire to become allied with American interests and accordingly set sail for the new world, landing on American soil in 1887. He spent the first few years in Leigh, Nebraska, but the year 1900 witnessed his arrival in Columbus, where in connection with C. C. Hardy he opened a planing mill, the business being conducted under the name of The Columbus Planing Mill. This partnership existed for only one year, however, at the end of which time Mr. Lund purchased Mr. Hardy's interest in the business, which he has since conducted alone under the original firm style. His plant is equipped with modern machinery, and in the years that have come and gone he has built up a good business, being now classed among the enterprising and successful representatives of industrial interests in this city.
Mr. Lund was married in Brooklyn, New York, in May, 1900, the lady of his choice being Miss Hildeborg Frederika Person, and this union has been blessed
with eight children: Helen Louise, Robert E., William C., Carl V., John H., Theodore R., Ruth E. and Albert O.
His study of the political questions and issues of the day has led Mr. Lund to give his support to the republican party, while his religious faith is indicated by his membership in the Lutheran church. He is identified with the Fraternal Order of Eagles and is a man of strong and forceful character, determined and aggressive. He has kept pace with the city's progress because he has equipped himself for the march and The Columbus Planing Mill is today considered one of the valuable additions to the industrial and business interests of the city which Mr. Lund has chosen for his home.
ROBERT C. MORAN.
Robert C. Moran, conducting a successful business as a live-stock dealer at Creston, was born in Marion county, West Virginia, on the 11th of October, 1856, a son of Robert and Sarah (Pride) Moran, both of whom were natives of West Virginia. The father was a farmer by occupation but put aside personal and business interests at the time of the Civil war and served for a year as a lieutenant in Company M, Second West Virginia Volunteer Infantry. He afterward resumed agricultural pursuits and in 1876 came to Nebraska, settling in Creston township, where he secured a homestead. This he developed and improved, devoting his remaining days to the further cultivation of that farm. He became recognized as a valued and influential citizen of his community and for two terms filled the office of county commissioner. He died December 5, 1902, while his wife survived for a number of years, passing away in January, 1911. Their many good qualities had endeared them to all with whom they came in contact, and they were recognized as people of the highest respectability.
Robert C. Moran is indebted to the public-school system of his native state for the educational privileges which he enjoyed. His youthful days were spent in the home of his parents and when he attained his majority he started out in life independently by renting land, which he cultivated for a few years. During that period he practiced economy as well as industry and thus secured the capital that enabled him to become the owner of a farm, investing in one hundred and sixty acres of land on section 27, Creston township, for in the meantime the family had removed to Platte county. With characteristic energy he began to develop and improve that property, and as his financial resources increased he purchased eighty acres across the road on section 33, Creston township. He continued the work of the farm for about fifteen years, and the place underwent a most attractive and gratifying change owing to the care and labor which he bestowed upon it. In 1910, however, Mr. Moran rented part of his land and removed to Creston, where he has since engaged in the live-stock business. He is an excellent judge of stock, and his careful purchases enable him to make profitable sales, so that his business is now bringing to him a substantial return. He is also a stockholder in the Farmers Elevator Company of Creston. He has never been afraid of hard work, and unfaltering industry has been the basis of his financial advancement.
In September, 1881, Mr. Moran was married to Miss Fanny A. Jackson, a
daughter of William C. and Hulda (Drake) Jackson, the former a native of England and the latter of Newark, New Jersey. When Platte county was in the period of pioneer development they came to Nebraska and purchased land in Creston township, Mr. Jackson there carrying on general farming until 1909, when he retired from active business life and has since rented his one hundred and ninety acres. Upon his retirement he removed to Chattanooga, Tennessee, where he and his wife are still living. Mr. and Mrs. Moran have become the parents of eight children: J. Clyde, born August 10, 1882; Charles, whose birth occurred in September, 1885; Camden, born March 10, 1887; Roy, born in July, 1889; Ralph, born in January, 1891; Robert, April 15,1894; Hattie, July 25, 1901; and Ernest, February 12,1906.
Politically Mr. Moran is a democrat, and for two terms he filled the office of treasurer of Creston township, while for seven terms he was school treasurer. He is always mindful of the duties and obligations of citizenship and is willing to aid and co-operate in any measure that tends to advance the general welfare. His life exemplifies the beneficent spirit of the Masonic fraternity, to which he belongs, and his membership relations extend to the Ancient Order of United Workmen. In religious faith he is a Presbyterian. All who know him feel that his life measures up to high standards of manhood and citizenship and that he may well be numbered among the valued and representative residents of Creston. His business affairs have been most carefully conducted. Keen interest has enabled him to recognize the possibilities of a situation, and laudable ambition has prompted his ready utilization of every opportunity that has come to him.
CHARLES G. MICEK.
Prominent among the enterprising, progressive and far-sighted business men of Columbus is Charles G. Micek, a hardware merchant, conducting business at the corner of West Eleventh and North streets. He displays sound judgment in business affairs and his indefatigable energy and earnest desire to please his patrons are the qualities that are bringing him substantial success.
Nebraska numbers him among her native sons, his birth having occurred in Polk county, on a farm five miles south of Columbus, on the 21st of April, 1881, his parents being Philip and Mary (Boro) Micek. The father was born in Poland, January 6, 1851, and was therefore a young man of twenty-two years when in 1873 he crossed the Atlantic and made his way to Polk county, Nebraska, where he homesteaded one hundred and sixty acres. His first residence was a sod house, and he had the usual experiences of pioneer life, meeting many hardships and privations in early days when he was attempting to break the sod and cultivate the fields. In time, however, his labors were rewarded and his land brought forth good crops. At length he sold that property and bought another tract of one hundred and sixty acres and to his holdings he added from time to time until he became the owner of nine hundred and twenty acres. He has given to each of his children one hundred and sixty acres and retains a similar amount for himself. His political allegiance has always been given to the democratic party, while his religious faith is that of the Catholic church. He was married in 1872 to Miss Mary Boro, who was born in Poland in 1856 and also survives.
Their son, Charles G. Micek, reared on the homestead farm, acquired a public-school education in Polk county, Nebraska, and during his youthful days met the usual experiences of the farm boy. He lived at home until 1904, when he received one hundred and sixty acres of land from his father, after which he engaged in farming on his own account for two years. In 1906 he removed to Columbus, where he established a saloon, continuing in that business for nine years. In 1915 he purchased the hardware store of M. M. Rothleitner, which is one of the old established hardware stores of the city. He carries a large and well selected line of both shelf and heavy hardware, dealing in Monarch and South Bend ranges, Radiant Home base burners, German heating stoves, Perfection oil heaters, Diamond Edge tools, Union cutlery, Voss electric washers and Heath and Milligan paints. His store is tastefully and conveniently arranged and all patrons have at their disposal the best brands of special and general hardware, and courteous treatment is at all times accorded them. Mr. Micek recognizes the fact that satisfied customers are the best advertisement and through that means and through honorable dealing is building up an excellent trade.
Mr. Micek was married on the 27th of January, 1903, to Miss Anna Siemek, who was born in Polk county, Nebraska, May 13, 1890. This union has been blessed with seven children: Clara and Victoria, both attending the parochial school; Thomas and Anna, who are in the public schools; and Carl, Edward and Leonard.
The religious faith of the family is that of the Catholic church, and in political belief Mr. Micek is a democrat. He gives earnest support to the party but does not seek nor desire office, preferring always to concentrate his energies upon his business affairs, which, carefully directed, are winning for him substantial and well deserved prosperity.
Samuel Gass, who is conducting a retail liquor business in Columbus, was born in Switzerland, on the 3d of June, 1854, a son of Christian and Anna (Giesin) Gass, who were also natives of the same county. The father was a general farmer, owning land there. The son attended school in Switzerland and at the age of sixteen years began to learn the cooper's trade, working as an apprentice for two years. He afterward followed his trade in the employ of others in Switzerland until he reached the age of twenty years, when in 1874 he sought the opportunities of the new world, becoming a resident of Columbus, Nebraska.
Here Mr. Gass worked in the furniture business with his brother until 1875, when he went to California, remaining in that state for more than two years, working at his trade in San Francisco and also on a wine ranch, making kegs and casks. He returned to Columbus in 1877 and was engaged in the saloon business on Eleventh street until 1879. The three succeeding years were spent in the employ of his brother Henry in the furniture store and in 1882 he returned on a visit to Switzerland, there visiting the scenes and renewing the acquaintances of his youth. In 1883 he once more came to Columbus, married and established a furniture store which he conducted until 1890 and then sold out, living retired for two years. He was not content, however, without some business interest and in 1892 he again
opened a saloon, which he has since conducted, devoting all of his time to this business and to the supervision of his real estate. He owns the building which he occupies, together with other city property, and his real-estate holdings are the visible evidence of his business activity and enterprise.
In 1883 Mr. Gass was married to Miss Anna Hofer, a native of Switzerland and a daughter of Henry and Barbara Hofer. The year 1883 witnessed her emigration to the United States. Her mother is still living in Columbus and celebrated the ninety-third anniversary of her birth in June, 1915. While a resident of Switzerland, his native land, Henry Hofer worked for many years in a tannery and after coming to the United States in 1885 lived retired in Columbus until his death. He sent all of his children to the parochial school for a German education and then to the high school, wishing them to have the good start in life which a liberal education would give them.
Mr. and Mrs. Gass have become parents of seven children, as follows: Anna, who is employed as a stenographer in the state banking department at Lincoln, Nebraska; Christian, who is associated in business with his father; Elizabeth, who is employed as bookkeeper by the Columbus Mercantile Company; Martha, who is the wife of Frank Bullington, of New Orleans, Louisiana; Freda, who teaches music, plays the organ in her church and has manifested much natural ability in the musical art; Walter, who will graduate from the Columbus high school in 1916; and Edward, a student in the Columbus schools.
Mr. Gass has never been interested in politics and takes no part in political affairs. He belongs, however, to the German Reformed church, has been one of its active workers and has served as its president. He also has membership with the Sons of Herman, the Columbus Swiss Verein and the Orpheus Society. He aided in organizing and is one of the prominent members of the Swiss Verein, of which for ten years he served as president. He has indeed been very active in affairs of this kind and is prominent and influential among the citizens of his nationality residing in this part of the state.
In a history of Platte county it is imperative that mention be made not only of those who are today active in business life but also of those who have contributed to the development and upbuilding of the county in former years. On the list of honored dead appears the name of Peter Schmidt, whose life of intelligently directed thrift and industry brought him substantial success and gained him place among the leading farmers of the community.
He was born in Germany, September 1, 1863, and is a son of Mathew and Sybilla (Schwamborn) Schmidt, who were natives of Germany, where they remained until 1878 and then came to the new world, settling first at Peru, Illinois, where the father worked in a coal mine for a few years. In 1886, however, he determined to come to Nebraska, after which he made his home with his children in Platte county until called to his final rest in 1889. He had long survived his wife, who died in 1875.
In the schools of Peru, Illinois, Peter Schmidt continued his education, which he had begun in Germany, and on starting out in the business world he found em-